Monday, October 5, 2009

DAY #4: Broke down cars... hearts and bones still intact.

Today we woke up refreshed , ready to forgive New Hampshire for all the misunderstandings yesterday and get out of this weird town we were in (another outlet village).  The rain had stopped, the sun was out and we were going to climb Mount Washington!   I thought I’d dress for the occasion and donned my Bear Hug in New Hampshire sweater and my America hair bows.  Nothing could stand in our way!

Nothing except dear Allison (that’s our car, she was a dental Hygenist in her other life).  It was like "pulling teeth going up hills" (har har).   Her steering wheel was grinding, her gear shift wouldn’t change to 2nd or 1st and she rattled and jerked at us when we accelerated.  No! No! No! It was Sunday of course, so no mechanics were available.  All would could think was transmission transmission anything but the transmission.  Another night in this town ugh, help!  We decided to stay just outside of town in a place called Weirs Beach. 

At this point I want to apologize to the Hamptons for calling it a creepy seaside town out of season.   Weir’s Beach definitely wins the prize.  On either side of the road it was stacked with tacky amusement parks (which we love!) but they were all closed (no love.) and we were a little sad, though trying to be optimistic.

One great thing about the town was we found The World’s Largest Classic Arcade and Museum which we had in fact been looking for!  The documentary The King of Kong was actually filmed here.  I think we managed to forget our troubles for a few hours while we played Pinball and Skee Ball.

We ate at this crazy tacky nightclub that was still opened called Paradise something or other… They  had a huge screen that had incredible 40’s music videos playing on it and dance lessons from 4-8, my mum probably would have liked those things.  Nobody showed for dancing so we just watched the instructors dance with each other while we ate.  The food was the worst I’ve had in a long time.

Drew's face says "I'm trying really hard to make the best of things, but lemme outta here!"

We stayed at a campground and were the only people there, the owners miniature poodle called Sugar attacked us upon entry.  They were a super cute elderly couple but they actually told us they didn’t like it here and wished they were in Florida.  We thought we’d have a nice fire and relax with some cheap beer ($4.75 for a tallboy 6-pack!) except the firewood they sold us was soaked and we settled for lighting an emergency candle and eating gummy bears.

Speaking of bears, I managed to get it in my head that we were going to be eaten by them last night.  I was a nervous wreck, every time I heard a noise I held my breath for what felt like hours.  

The rest of the night we formed a plan of action for the next day.  Locate the nearest post office, mail our things home then buy ourselves a plane/bus ticket home.  A much more ideal scenario would be, take our car to the mechanic, he says "No way ! It's nothing to do with the transmission.  I can fix that in a few hours and for way less than a couple thousand dollars!" and then we fly free again like little birds....

We're just trying to be realistic here.  We'll update when we figure this biz out.

Cross your fingers we don't go bust! 

Love you all!!

2 comments:

  1. You are the loveliest people in the world! I love you both so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you guys and the car get home safe! But mostly you guys . . . we miss you!

    ReplyDelete